Search This Blog

22 June 2010

Life changing moment

Around early August of 2005, I fell asleep in the comfort of my husband's recliner. You heard of the Big Comfy Couch? Well, that was the Big Comfy Chair! When I woke up, my life changed forever. I tried to remove the blanket but my left arm wouldn't move. I was flat on my back so sleeping on it was not possible. This went on for a few minutes. After a while, I was able to get up. Soon thereafter, I noticed that my vision was changing. How could this be? Neither of my parents had vision issues and I was only 24 years old. Next, my walk had become almost robotic on my left leg. It was as if someone other than myself controlled it. As things got worse I decided to make an appointment with an optometrist. The minute he looked into my eyes he stated that I had something going on with my nerves and would need to see a neurologist. I stayed positive and okayed. A short time passed before my first visit.

After telling the neurologist, Dr.Johnson, my symptoms he knew that I was probably dealing with an autoimmune disease. He didn't want to say for certain what he thought it was prior to obtaining the proper tests. Blood work, an MRI, and Valentine's Day spinal tap later; I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I didn't know much outside of the MS Walks, so I had to educate myself, FAST!

So, there I was barely 25, married with two young children, and a USN sailor. There was no way possible for me to stay in the military so I was retired. The career and friends that I had come to know and love were now to be left behind.

25 years old with an autoimmune disease. I chose to stand up to the disease that may sit me down later.

No comments:

Post a Comment